Bilingual School Teacher
Do you get excited about using your teaching skills to make a significant impact on the lives of others? If so, then The Leadership Center may be a perfect fit for you.
We are looking for an English teacher for our new academic year beginning July, 2017. This teaching opportunity will be with 10-15 young women who have already completed a Honduran high school education. We are looking for an individual who wants to make a difference in the lives of Honduran women, who can be creative with adult learners, and who will enjoy life in a rural, off-the-grid campus in Honduras.
- Teach two 50 minute English classes per day for 10-15 beginning students
- The books we use are the Four Corners’ ESL curriculum by Cambridge University Press
- Be available for one on one check-ins with students as needed throughout the week
- A willingness to mentor, encourage and tutor students in your class and in other grades
- Ability to collaborate with other staff members, especially the one other ESL teacher who will provide two other English classes per day to the same cohort of students
- ESL teaching experience is highly preferred, but we will consider comparable teaching experience or recent graduates with related bachelor or masters degrees.
- The ability to plan lessons and conduct classes with a minimal amount of technology.
- The internet access is very limited because of the remote location, so our on campus library and any books you bring will be your primary resources for lesson planning.
- There is one projector shared by all teachers but electricity only comes from solar panels and is not always available. So most teachers must depend solely on using a dry-erase board during class.
- Flexibility and ability to work independently.
- Candidate must be able to lift a five gallon bucket full of water (we’re off the grid and sometimes you have to bucket-flush the toilet!)
- The ability to speak Spanish is not a requirement but is recommended for your own safety when traveling within the country of Honduras, also, because you will be working with a group of students who are not yet fluent in English
- TLC is both an educational and ministry-minded organization. There are devotionals, Bible studies and church services available to students and staff throughout the week. However, no staff or student is required to be a member of any particular faith.
- A monthly stipend ranges from 250-300 USD depending on experience and length of teaching commitment, we prefer one year.
- Teachers who commit to teaching for one full year, are given an additional bonus at the end of each quarter to offset costs occurred with renewing a visa. The current requirement is that visitors must leave the country every 90 days for at least 72 hours.
- Room and board is provided:
- All staff live on campus in shared or private housing.
- Three meals are provided daily, the fare is simple but healthy: beans, tortillas, eggs, chicken and fresh vegetables.
- The school is rural, but one weekend per quarter teachers are provided with a free weekend and given free transportation to the nearest town.
About The Leadership Center
The Leadership Center exists to educate, train, and develop the next generation of ethical Honduran leaders. Operated through a partnership between Leadership Mission International and Art for Humanity, The Leadership Center began with its first cohort of students in February of 2011. All students come from poor families who could not afford a post high school education otherwise, and thus are given full scholarships for three years of study. Currently, there are approximately 30 students studying on campus, broken into three separate cohorts.
The Leadership Center is located in central Honduras, two hours outside of Tegucigalpa. All staff and all students live on campus. The campus is located on an organic coffee farm and is bordered by a beautiful river. It is a 45 minute drive to the nearest town, which means limited access but also much safety. The Leadership Center is an ideal place for teachers who want to know they are contributing to the education of impoverished individuals while at the same time having a peaceful and exciting experience. Apply today!
How to Apply
- Please review the mission and vision (link) of The Leadership Center and read the FAQ section (link) of our website to find out more about daily life on our campus (http://leadershipmissioninternational.org/tlc-faqs/)
- Submit a one-page cover letter and resume to by email to Joseph Rahm at email@example.com with the subject line “English teaching position for April 2016”
- Provide two character references, at least one should be directly related to your ESL or teaching abilities.